About Me

My photo
Mom, writer-editor, dreamer, dog lover, wannabe traveller...yes probably me

Friday, March 6, 2009

are diamonds forever?

My pretty diamond earrings came to me when husband dear felt really bad on my birthday last year. What he was feeling bad about I don’t know. It could have been the fact that he didn’t gave me a present since we got married (but I did get surprise birthday parties) or because he keeps losing his temper for all silly reasons…whatever.
He decided I should have diamond earrings. Naturally I was surprised at the insistence. But having smartened up (yes I have, though its just a teeny bit), I agreed. Then he made the most horrid suggestion: That I should buy the earrings on my own and he would give me the money.
Why? To save him to trouble of visitng a jewellery store...the crowd that comes with it...and the very effort of having me ask him for a final opinion on whether the pretty flowers look better than the x factor two stone design or whether I should settle for the contemporary z ones. Men, stop nodding in understanding of his "situation."
Doesn’t that defeat the whole purpose of gifting the wife? Agreed they were going to be my choice and that they would be worn only by me. I didn’t like the idea. And I protested and he resisted. Till I won and we went to Shoppers Stop in search of jewellery. At the Carbon counter, I saw the earrings I wanted. And we bought them-last May-June sometime.
They sat prettily in my earlobes on and off. I got plenty of admiring and jealous looks from friends and strangers for them and I grew to love them more and more each day.
Then, I took them off the day I lost a diamond from my ring-my engagement ring! And put them in a zip lock bag along with my nosepins and put it away, safely, about a month ago.
I looked for them this morning and couldn't find them. I shuddered and I shivered and I wondered how I would tell the man of my "situation." The predicament deepened as I thought about the number of things I have misplaced...though thankfully, nothing as sentimentally important or as expensive.....Disaster, for sure...
I spent the whole day at work wondering where in the world they could be. My status msg on gchat said Perry Mason, this ones for you: My missing diamonds. I discussed it with boss, chatted with friends online and was generally upset. Inspite of so much thought, I managed to buy myself hugggge sunglasses that take me back to the 70's, and to shop for kitchen essentials. I picked the son up from daycare and believe you me in such spirits was I that when I came home, I completely forgot!
I opened my cupboard and stared at the mess inside. I shut the door, opened the door and hummed raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens...and thought-there's something I have to find....-and then it struck me...my earrings...ooooooo (another reason for the oooo's maybe penned later)... I peeped into the drawer that is their home and Lo and Behold! The bag and the earrings gleamed at me. Such a feeling's coming over me, there is wonder in most everything I see. Not a cloud in the sky got the sun in my eye (I have glares-for the sun, the mischevious glint of the diamonds...whatever) you're the nearest thing to heaven that I've seen...I was back to singing...
I sighed and smiled and sighed and smiled.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often have wondered - what else could it have been that a woman would have loved as much - if it were not for the hardest form of carbon and a metal - the name of latter begining with a 'G' - Haan 'ji' - G - G manto Gold - and more recently 'P'. Sad that G's other two siblings - siblings beacuse all three are part of the same group in the periodic table - Ms Silver & Mr Copper - don't get as much attention as 'G' Ji. And to make things worse when 'G' Ji has a fine cut glass cherry stuck on top - the glitter in the eyes of fairer sex certainly needs some shade - so what even if the shades remind of the 70's. Anyways - as for - are diamonds forever - can't say - but one thing's for sure - who the hell says - love doesn't cost anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. even i hav always wondered why women love xpnsiv jewellery soooo much......thank god im not one of them!!!! give me pretty silver earrings any day.... trendy young hip and so very me....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write like a breeze...easy, smooth, very moody...full of masti...

    ReplyDelete