About Me

My photo
Mom, writer-editor, dreamer, dog lover, wannabe traveller...yes probably me

Monday, June 7, 2010

Things that make you go hmmm

At twilight almost every evening that he was in Pune, the roly poly man would appear sure as the sun at my home. And on most evenings, hed take me for a mini walk - with me on his kadevar to the corner. A chocolate perhaps or just the walk was what we did to become best friends.
On the way back, we would unfailingly play He ahe ka tuza ghar?....where, he would point to all gates and ask me if that was my house. Bursting with giggles I would say no and he would say ok then it must be the next...
My favourite game with my favourite kaka - Khi - ravi tilak. I spent the most amazing, secure, fun evenings of my early childhood with him. He indulged me and I loved him. But then time changed and distance set in when we moved house and couldnt meet...till he came and cried like a baby at my dads death. the years flew faster and I became a mother...and khi kaka was buried at the back of my mind. Sadly, I never attempted to get in touch. I wish I had. He passed away.
As I thought and cocntinue to think about him, the way he was part of my family, I see a lacuna in my sons life. He doesnt have an elder aunt or uncle who dote on him like I was doted upon. He doesnt have any adult currently inclined to attempt to create a fantastic bond with him.
I was lucky. I had a bunch of kakas who would give their life to see me smile, hear me laugh and to watch me play and to teach me things while we played. Khi was the first among them.
but most children today dont have uncles like that... wake up people. Kids need us, just like we do them. I'm hoping arin gets luckier than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment