About Me

My photo
Mom, writer-editor, dreamer, dog lover, wannabe traveller...yes probably me

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A mother, a wife and what about being me?

"Son is up. Wake up Mamma." Yes its barely 6 am and the day has begun with a boistrous three-year-old boy peering at my face, smiling happily barely three inches away. I can't be angry, coz he doesn't know I slept 2 am, after clearing the kitchen and almost pushing friends out post dinner.
Some stories, incessant chatter and some threats later, the apple of my eye has polished off milk and breakfast. Energised, he begins his steady action pal of turning the house upside down....room by room.
down comes the dad and I make sure he has his hot hot tea and brkfst.
My thoughts centre around my day. It promises to be long. Meetings and a project to finish...am looking forward to my ten mins of "me" time with my hot cuppa. The father and son move to the bedroom to get ready. Get into shorts, its too hot, I tell the boy. No your friends will not be in jeans. I know...I assure him, in vain. But at least he's ready for school in clean clothes.
Im downstairs son is busy "reading."
I reach for my tea, put it in the microwave. Aaahhhh.....at last...a sip down my throat....And his highness hollers, "Where are my undies?"
"Look in your cupboard, dear. I'm having tea."
"U...ok but wheres my Lacoste?"
Does he know where his cupboard is? Or does he think I keep these things in the kitchen cabinets? Of course he does know where the cupboard is, but the effort of bending to look in the second drawer and pulling the shirt out is excruciating pain...naturally....for someone who is 32!
I pretend not to hear...and take another sip and think about options for the project....when he bellows, "Where have my socks gone? wis nothing ever in place?"

Oh well....he should know things are out of place...when he looks in the right place...I have to get up, put my garam chai aside...I could squeeze in five mins after they leave.....and reheat the tea....Just another morning......

like the song says, its probably me...

1 comment: